There are few things more important in business than quality leadership. Those who hold leadership positions in your company must be enthusiastic, creative, passionate, and able to inspire those who work under them. They must have the experience to make good decisions and generate good ideas. Above all, they must be trustworthy.
When it comes to your leadership team, how much do you know about them? If you’re hiring a new addition to your team, you can’t afford for them to be a potential liability. If you don’t have a lot of experience vetting employees at all levels, including those who are being considered for leadership roles, you need an FCRA compliant background check.
Additionally, there are several reasons why your leadership team—perhaps more so than any other members of your organization—should be thoroughly investigated by a screening professional.
Why Screen Your Leadership Team?
Trust is at the heart of a successful business.
- Your customers have to trust you.
- You have to trust your employees.
- Your employees have to trust the people in charge.
If any link in that chain of trust is broken, the results can be disastrous.
When it comes to your leadership team, using FCRA compliant background checks is essential. Not only must your leaders have the respect and trust of those who work beneath them—though that’s certainly a factor—but no one else in the organization has the potential to do more good or more harm. Unfortunately, the higher up someone is in your company, the greater their ability to do damage. That’s because leaders tend to have:
- Easier financial access: The higher up someone is in your company, the greater access they have to financial assets. This includes—but is by no means limited to—Chief Financial Officers (CFOs). According to a report by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), even though fraud is less often committed by those in the highest positions, it has a much more damaging financial impact when it does occur.
- Greater decision-making ability: The leaders in your company have strategic responsibilities—and make decisions that have repercussions throughout the entire organization. Even if these leaders are not deliberately dishonest, you need to know that they will make decisions in your company’s best interest. FCRA compliant background checks will ensure that you hire only the most qualified leaders.
- An extensive range of influence: The trustworthiness of someone in a position of power is vital for many reasons—but especially because they have greater influence and lead by example. How many wrongs have been committed by those who were “just doing what they were told?” The ability to influence others and give directives to employees is no small thing, and must only be given to those who can be trusted with that power.
- Higher public visibility: In many cases, your leadership team will be the public face of your company. If they act dishonestly or incompetently, their mistakes will be much more visible to the public than those of a lower-ranking employee. Plus, leaders will also be subject to more media scrutiny, with journalists actively looking for ways to dig up dirt. An FCRA compliant background check is essential to ensure that there is no dirt to find.
Background Screeners Help You Hire the Right Leaders!
Far too many companies are under the impression that candidates for senior-level positions don’t need to be screened as rigorously as ordinary hires—this is simply not the case. The greater authority a position offers, the greater the need is for a thorough, FCRA compliant background check.
Our elite team of screening professionals understands this well, which is why we’re dedicated to meticulously checking the background of your potential leadership candidates to nip bad hires in the bud. Our process includes:
- A criminal record check: Our criminal background check includes both a social security number trace and a search of all known alias names. We check a wide range of sources to determine if your candidate has a criminal record, including county, state, and federal criminal records. We also check Civil Records, the National Criminal Record Database, National Sex Offender Registry, and the Terrorism Watch List.
- Work history screening: It’s essential that you know whether the work history your potential hire has provided is accurate. Our team will check references, including making calls and emails to past employers to verify not just where your candidate has worked, but what dates, what titles, and which responsibilities were held. We also investigate why they left the company in the first place. As professionals, we also have access to specialized resources like a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) check and DOT Verification of Employment, where applicable.
- Education verification: Investigating your candidate’s educational background can be tricky—especially since this is one of the most common areas where applicants tend to stretch the truth. Our education verification process includes finding our where your candidate attended for undergrad and post-graduate studies, what degrees they received, and their GPA.
It makes no difference if you’re a small, local business with a handful of employees or a multinational corporation that employs thousands. FCRA compliant background checks are essential—especially when it comes to your leadership team. Contact us today to learn more about how our team of screening professionals at CNet Technologies can help you hire the best leadership for your business!